Friday, December 30, 2011

A good man is hard to find . . .

Especially when he designed my cabinets. So finally a few words about my cabinets. After looking at virtually every option, from IKEA to full custom, we decided to go with cabinets from . . . wait for it . . . Costco. Yup, they were right there between the giant package of toilet paper and 40 pounds of ground beef! OK, not really. But they were indeed from Costco's "exclusive" distributor, and are all wood, really well made, and came with all sorts of added bells and whistles, like soft close doors and drawers. And it probably goes without saying that the prices could not be beat. I'm pretty sure my correspondence with my designer, JP (really), seemed incredibly steamy - furtive phone calls and emails in the night, plus lots of photo attachments. But then poof, right there in my inbox was my design. And then there it was again. And again. And again. After the various delays and hurdles, JP took it all in stride and kept at it, re-designing the kitchen to accommodate every problem and scenario. I realize that's what a kitchen designer is supposed to do, but I didn't expect someone from Costco to do that.

The only problem, of course, was delivery. Not that there were any snafus, oh except the monsoon that decided to break at the exact moment the giant semi truck pulled in front of my house. No, the issue is that the cabinets are delivered "fully assembled!" And when there are about 200 items "fully assembled!" in the middle of my living room, it's just a bit crowded.




But believe it or not, out of this chaos came some pretty sweet cabinets:

That's just a start, of course. Not surprisingly, there are some issues. Like I ordered a big corner cabinet without a Lazy Susan. And one cabinet is too big. Again, my fault. But Costco is replacing it! Hey, do you think I will get my Costco rebate points for this order? Sure beats the hell out of buying coffee and diapers.


No comments:

Post a Comment