Monday, December 12, 2011

Inches Do Matter

I have discovered a few areas of my life where even one or two inches has a huge impact on me. One is CrossFit - the difference of jumping on an 18-inch box and 20-inch box is tremendous (you try it). And the other is . . . kitchen walls. My contact at my cabinet company said to wait to order until the demo was totally done and drywall was up to remeasure and order. I was very frustrated - why was he denying me my cabinets! What could possibly happen from taking down one crazy uneven plaster wall and putting up nice even drywall? How could that impact my design? Well, as we've seen just from removing walls to discover random, immovable posts, a lot can happen. Sure enough, the long wall is now a full 4 inches shorter than it was. Now that might not sound like a lot but trust me, it has rocked my world. The cabinets on this wall fit to perfection, but now the changes require odd measurements and since the cabinets are in standard sizes, it's going to take a Mensa member to figure this out. This is also the wall where the refrigerator will go and opposite the dishwasher/sink, so I have to consider doors opening, corners, etc. Why is this so complicated?

On a bright note, I have nice, lovely, even walls. With drywall and everything. It's not quite cleaned up yet, but it's actually taking shape. I can almost figure out where I'll be pouring the wine. Now if I could only find 4 more inches. . .





1 comment: