Thursday, October 13, 2011

So many men, so little time . . .

Strangely enough, everyone I'm working with on this project are men. None of whom are my husband - hey what he doesn't know won't hurt him. He keeps saying he doesn't care. Until, of course, I present him with any options and then he cares, an inevitably he picks the thing I don't want.  So, lesson one - don't ask if you don't want an answer.

My contractor, Daniel, my favorite appliance guy (you know who you are), and the cabinet boys are the hot men in my life now. And yes, I said boys, plural. Now that I have made the monumental decision to go with "real" cabinets, I have to actually design them, which is much harder than I thought. First thing - taking my design (which by now I've tweaked) to get estimates. As usual, Matthew would just go for the first bid and be done with it. I on the other hand, have been known to get multiple bids for a car detail, so it stands to reason that I am going to get multiple bids on something as big and expensive as cabinets (and I guess when it's time, countertops). But all those choices have succeeded in only one thing: paralyzing me with fear and indecision. Mocha Grande? Vintage Cherry? (Hey, stop that, that's a stain color). And then I was presented with yet ANOTHER choice - true custom made just for me or "semi-custom" - solid wood stock cabinets with all the bells and whistles based on my design and measurements. I am no farther along than I was a week ago!

If this is a glimpse into what a burst fantasy is like, I'm dreading the actual project. For now, I will keep lusting over the shiny toys and glossy photos. Matthew has given me one week to decide or - gasp - he's going to do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment