Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Kitchen Foreplay

Before I get too far down the rabbit hole of my kitchen fantasies, I need to backtrack. In order to understand just how vivid my dreams have become, it's important to know where we are starting. Imagine, if you will, a U-shaped kitchen with about 8 feet of total, usable counter space. Of course that space also needs to accommodate a microwave, toaster oven, coffee maker and coffee grinder.





What the kitchen lacks in counter space it makes up for in cabinets. There are cabinets all the way to the 10-foot ceiling. Of course, most of those are unreachable and therefore unusable, leaving us with about 10 linear feet of cabinets.



Did I mention the drawers? There are 6 sort of normal sized drawers, housing flatware, dishtowels and the non-negotiable wine instruments. There are also 4 comically sized drawers about 3 square inches across - so tiny that one holds just a can opener and some measuring spoons.


Gee, what gal wouldn't get all hot and bothered with a kitchen like this?

Did I mention, our house was built as a duplex in the 1930s, so I have not one, but TWO kitchens like this! It would be ideal if I kept Kosher, but I don't. Instead, what I keep is half my beloved items, like my KitchenAid stand mixer, on the other side of the house. Which means when I want to use it, I have to risk appendages to carry it to my work space. I have never, in all the years in this house, made an entire, large, meal in only one room. And that, in essense, is my fantasy.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already know all about this kitchen first-hand...but seeing the cabinets and drawers the way you photographed them...plus your commentary, throw a whole new light on just how urgent this project really is!

    ReplyDelete